2.08.2011

Refinish, retask, recycle, rethink…






Bowling Alley Dining Table by JLS for JLS - 2008. The legs are a standard "Parsons" flavor, and the top that appears to be a butcher-block (rather "strip") is a reclaimed bowling alley (the ball marks and errant nail fill marks don't lie). Wood alleys require full replacement every ten(ish) years, or so I am told, and the used sections are often simply pitched. I found this shocking. Under all the plasticized surface preparation and wax is beautiful maple. For reference, the outer frame of the table is "new" maple, and the four boards cost me nearly as much as the section of alley, which again is the SAME material.

This piece was challenging in a number of ways. First, the alley sections are heavy, like three men and a truck heavy. Whereas most of my other projects allow for some post positioning maneuvering, I needed to plan ahead for this one and create a work set up that allowed me to complete everything without moving the section during the work. Second, these sections are not built for reworking or simple modification. Nails are everywhere, and of meaningful girth. My table saw ate threw them, but not without some significant sparking and noise. Again, initial planning was important as I could not stop cutting to move a too-close can of flammables, for instance. The surface prep alley installers apply is also industrial strength, especially when compared to other surface prep materials a traditional furniture refinisher may have encountered over time…think an eighth to a quarter inch of hard transparent plastic. The streets taught me neverto bring a knife to a gun fight, and this project taught me never to cut back on the stripping agent. Four applications later, I had most of the crud removed and I could switch to a sander. Maple is a relative soft wood. Sanding needs to be done with proper attention. In addition, maple doesn't take stain with ease, or I should say with consistency. This means gel stain, multiple thin layers of gel stain, and as with a lot of my projects, understanding that the goal is not "perfection" (a/k/a: don't set unreasonable expectations).


This piece is exemplary for me and what I am trying to do with this website in a number of ways. The idea started with a move – new house needed a new dining table that was kid friendly as the fire door on a wood frame from the loft wasn't going to cut it anymore. I was very underwhelmed by the offerings I found at the usual retailers, and also overwhelmed by the asking prices and lead times required. We knew we wanted wood…so the search began. After doing some research on various angles, including bowling alleys, the "ah yes" moment occurred when I found out about the maple living under the plastic. Sourcing was interesting – cheaper options were available (free in many cases), but the timing didn't work (alleys are replaced on a semi-set schedule based on seasonality), and shipping costs simple don't make sense for something this heavy. I ended up paying a little more than I wanted to pay, but I was able to inspect thesection first and the seller cut the price and helped me load the item after we discussed the project – people typically like it when they are selling something "weird" and you are doing something even "weirder" with it. The initial plan was to try for something different with the legs, but after realizing the need for a more stable and level support mechanism, it made sense to outsource this piece to a local furniture business with in-house welding capabilities. Finally, the project was in many ways a leap of faith. I had no idea if the alley section would fall apart when I cut it to the size I needed and removed lane boards to reduce the width…but I knew that I could figure it out as I went along. This is where a lot of people get into trouble – you need to see the end game, but you also need to have a few tricks in your quiver in case the path to the end takes a turn. It is also fine to stop for a bit and reassess the
situation. You cannot take back certain things, like a cut board, and that is even truer in a project like this when the materials you are working with are not things you can simply replace at the local lumberyard or hardware store. Having unreasonable expectations is also something to keep in mind, or rather avoid. This is a table made from an old bowling alley – it is completely unreasonable to assume that it will win best in show for finish versus tables one can find and the usual stores…"quality" is not simply shine/polish and consistent dimensions.


In the end, I am into this table for about the same as it would have cost me to purchase one of the underwhelming/overwhelming offerings I found on the retail market. The story that is the table and also some of the things I learned producing it make it a bargain. It is also worth noting that there are other interesting potential applications for alley sections. In another post, I will show you a countertop that could have easily been created with an alley section. I decided to go another way that provides a similar "strip" look but in a manner that is far more manageable for smaller spaces.

My specific table is not for sale, but I would gladly entertain discussions with parties who are interested in having something similar made to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment