2.10.2011

Let’s talk “green”.

I mentioned in the first post here that this is not a “green” movement site.    This of course didn’t stop someone who will remain nameless (Chase) from calling me out.    My position on “green” will become more apparent as we get into more spring and summer seasonal topics, but I thought it would make sense to lay the groundwork today, if only because I am feeling a little riled up for some reason anyway.

The “green” movement, and by this I mean the stuff that is being pushed on people and that has suddenly popped up everywhere is garbage, in both the literal and figurative sense.     In the literal sense, people are being guilted and pressured by “experts” into buying stuff that either doesn’t work or is just more of the same manufactured plastic junk in another form that they may or may not recycle when this fad dies and the next big thing is what everyone is doing so hop to.   In the figurative sense, it is still consumption, which to me is the easiest thing to cut out if you want to be “green”.     Reduce simply isn’t something to keep in mind as a measurement on the sticker of the new thing you just bought, it is something to think about before buying anything at all (hey, my new toilet uses less water – but so does your old one if you just put a brick in the tank like people did in the depression to save money).

As I have mentioned or will mention, part of what drives me to do some of the weird things I do is the simple question – something is what it is, but can it be more?   I am fascinated by reuse, which is part of being “green”, so I felt the need to address this topic, and probably will do more in the future (even though my focus on reuse was not founded on a desire to be “green”).   It seems that the “thought leaders” whom you can find with a quick Google search are not willing to ask the real questions.   Instead of trying to find you a “greener” car (are batteries really green anyway, and dont these cars still need oil in a lot of places), why not ask if you need to live 60 miles from where you work/play/etc.?   Instead of looking for “organic” fertilizer for your lawn, why not replace the out-of-place turf with natural indigenous grasses and stop using fertilizer (and probably so much water) in the first place?     At the same time, I am not saying that people should be forced to live at work or that preventing you from planting grass of your choice should be a “mandate”, but let’s get real, mad real yo.

It isn’t realistic claim that you are being “green” by simply buying some other thing that makes you feel better about a decision that is obviously a concern for you.   Undo the real issue if you want to do something real, if not, get over it..and stop being pushed around and guilted into a fake lifestyle by people who disguise themselves as friends of the environment when they just want your money.   With that, I look forward to showing you some things in the near future that are really “green”, and also cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment