7.17.2012

Retask, reuse, reclaim…


Outdoor Table (2012 - by JLS, for JLS).  As with my dining table, the legs are standard “Parsons” flavor (this time in an aluminum tube-stock as the fabricator recommended a rust proof material for outdoor use).   The top was created using re-milled bourbon barrel staves, which are white oak.   One side, the old barrel exterior, has a nice patina from 40+ yrs of untreated exposure to the elements.   The other side, the old barrel interior, was charred, as required for bourbon aging, and maintains a dark hue and charred texture.  The top is treated with multiple coats of high-linseed content exterior oil (clear color).    Between this treatment and white oak’s natural properties, this piece should be good to go for a number of years.   


Unlike other projects where I find myself in need of a purpose for an object, this project began with the end in mind and I needed to find the inputs.    It is easier to find wine barrels in Minneapolis as a number of businesses sell them to people for use as rain barrels.   Actual bourbon barrels are much harder to find.    Luckily I have my ways and I was able to locate a few for sale about an hour west of Minneapolis.   

Transport was the next hurdle.   Outside of getting lost without cell service for a bit, the barrels are huge (or larger than expected).  Where I had hoped to take three so as to have more than enough materials (my production method was very much in flux), I was only able to cram two into the back of the Landy.   This is probably reason enough to think about stepping up to the 110, but that’s another story.  

Production required some thought (it always does, but this project more-so).  The table top I had in mind required 1” “square” pieces.   The issue is that the staves are not uniform in size, and the sides are angled in order to allow them to come together to form a barrel that is wider in the middle than on the ends.   After considering a few methods ranging from complex and precise measurements to purchasing a new band-saw to some likely serious post milling sanding, I returned to a core axiom (brought by an old friend):  if you cannot make something that is perfect (or if you believe, to a high degree of confidence, that trying to create perfection will fail), then you should design and build with imperfection as part of the end goal.  With this in mind, I decided to use masking tape as a guide and milled each stave by hand, freestyle (without guides or jigs).  I also left the ends of the stave (the ridges that were milled to allow the barrel top and bottom to fit securely) in place as they complement the lack of surface uniformity. The result is a surface that is slightly uneven and not uniform as well as an overall surface dimension that is not uniform or square, but by design.   I think this adds to the flavor of the piece.

This is the first piece that I have designed where I contracted the fabrication and finish of elements with another party.   This is not entirely true as the frame for my dining table was outsourced, but in this case, I went to a welding firm and a powder coating firm (not a furniture business that sells things a la carte in certain cases).   While this required a few extra trips to the contractors’ offices, I was also able to design to the exact dimensions I needed and to the exact specs…and for ~75% less than the quote I received from the same supplier I used for the dining table.  

I have said this before, but being a mensch gets you points.    In this case, this was the second job I sent to the powder coating firm.   The proprietor was happy to refer me to a welder, and was excited to see the final finished project.    The proprietor printed the photo I sent to him and has it on the shop board so the crew can see where the often plain things they make end up…pretty cool.  

I am into this table for around $500 and a few hours of work.  As with other projects, this is time and money well spent as the generic tables I found of similar size retail for at least $1000 (and often 2x that level).  It is also interesting to note that most of the tables I found for sale at retail only come with steel legs, which seems like a “designed to fail” strategy.   
 
This table is not for sale, but I would entertain interest in reproductions.   I also have four barrel tops that could become interesting side tables (perhaps another post).    

No comments:

Post a Comment